- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Hiking and Mountaineering
Tour offices in San Juan, Barreal, and as far away as Mendoza offer day hikes and rides or weeklong treks and horseback rides in the Parque Nacional El Leoncito or the high mountain ranges of the Cordillera Ansilta, where seven peaks from 5,160 to 6,035 meters (16,929-19,800 feet) challenge hikers and horseback riders. You can ride for four days to the Paso de Los Patos (Ducks Pass), as San Martín did with 3,200 men in 1817 on his way to liberate Chile.
Fortuna Viajes. Fortuna Viajes has 30 years of experience in outdoor adventure tourism. They offer horseback trips from one to nine days, including hiking and/or riding to Valle Colorado, where you can climb (or admire from your saddle) six peaks over 6,000 meters (20,000 feet). Hiking, mountaineering, rafting, fishing, sand-surfing, and 4x4 excursions are other offerings. Mariano Moreno s/n, Barreal, San Juan, 5405. 264/15-404-0913 cell; 264/404-0913. fortunaviajes.com.ar.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe