There are frequent ferry services across the Río de la Plata between Buenos Aires and the Uruguayan cities of Colonia and Montevideo. Both Buquebus and Colonia Express run fast catamarans to Colonia, which take an hour or less. Full-price round-trip tickets with each company cost 304 pesos and 198 pesos, respectively, but there are substantial off-peak and mid-week discounts if you book online. The two companies also sell packages that include bus tickets to La Paloma, Montevideo, and Punta del Este on services direct from Colonia's ferry terminal. You can order tickets by phone or online. Buquebus leaves from a terminal at the northern end of Puerto Madero. The Colonia Express terminal is on Avenida Pedro de Mendoza (the extension of Av. Huergo) at 20 de Septiembre, south of Puerto Madero. It's best reached by taxi.
Buquebus (11/4316–6500. www.buquebus.com.)
Colonia Express (11/4317–4100 Ext. ext. 6 English operator. www.coloniaexpress.com.)
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe