- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
The town of Tilcara (altitude 8,100 feet), founded in 1600 and witness to many battles during the War of Independence, is on the eastern side of the Río Grande at its confluence with the Río Huasamayo. Purveyors of local crafts crowd the main plaza, and artists and musicians escaping the big cities fill the cafés and bars. Several things make it a main stop in the Quebrada: an interesting museum; nearby Inca ruins, caves, and waterfalls; and a good selection of accommodations.
Tilcara at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in The Northwest
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's