Orange trees and vendors populate the central square, which is surrounded by colonial buildings—including the imposing government palace. It's empty by day, but starts to fill with gossiping jujeños, old and young, by late afternoon. The plaza benefits from free Wi-Fi.
Casa de Gobierno. The 1907 Casa de Gobierno (Government House) fronts the plaza on San Martín and contains the provincial government offices. A first-floor hall, the Salón de la
Bandera, displays the original Argentine flag donated by General Belgrano in 1813, a gift to the city after it cooperated with the Belgrano-headed Exodus of Jujuy during the War of Independence. Entry is on Sarmiento street. The flag was replaced a few years later by the current white and sky-blue stripe version, and the one here is now used as the national coat of arms. San Martín 450, 4600. 388/423–9400. www.jujuy.gov.ar. Free. Daily 8 am–9 pm.
San Salvador de Jujuy, Jujuy, 4600, Argentina