- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Quebrada de Humahuaca
Quebrada de Humahuaca Review
North of San Salvador de Jujuy about 60 km (37 mi), the inimitable Ruta 9 runs into the Quebrada de Humahuaca (Humahuaca Gorge), an explosion of color stretched across over long stretches of craggy, bare rock, and one of Argentina's most distinctive landscapes. Running alongside the Río Grande, variegated tones of pink, red, and gray color the canyon walls like giant swaths of paint.
As the gorge deepens and narrows approaching Humahuaca on its northern tip, the colors become more vibrant, and mustard and green are added to the hues. Bright-green alamo and willow trees surround villages, contrasting with the deep red tones in the background. In summer and fall, torrential rains mixed with mud and melting snow from the mountains rush down, carving deep ravines before pouring into the chalky gray river.
- Location: San Salvador de Jujuy
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Well my up to a year trip has begun.. I left Australia on Tuesday the 26th of November from Melbourne at 7pm . Flying with emirates, 4 flights later and 40 hours of travel and not much sleep I arrived i Read more
Firstly, a big thank you to all who followed along on our travels over the last six month both here and on our blog. Read more
Hello, fellow Fodorites! Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more