- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Thanks to a microclimate and fertile soil, the area around Cafayate is one of Argentina's wine-growing regions. Cafayate itself is very civilized and orderly, with free tours of boutique bodegas, lots of good restaurants, and some exquisite hotels. But wander a couple of blocks from the central plaza and you're back on unpaved roads. Take a bit of a hike and you're in the mountains—probably enjoying a wine-tasting session at a tiny finca and trying hard to get your camera to do justice to the view. There are also some authentic handicrafts to buy, a five-aisle cathedral, and a world-famous ice-cream man.
Cafayate at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in The Northwest
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe