- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Amaicha del Valle is so hot and dry that it feels like a world away from the towns on either side of it. The Ruins of Quilmes are the big draw, and although its indigenous inhabitants were long ago forcibly evicted, much of their way of life is continued in Amaicha. The area has 360 days of sunshine, but the best time to visit is in February, during Pachamama, a celebration of Mother Earth, with festivities led by the oldest woman in the town and lots of music.
Amaicha at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in The Northwest
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's