- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Nahuel Huapi National Park has many forest trails near Bariloche, El Bosón, and Villa La Angostura. For day hikes in the forest along the shore of Nahuel Huapi Lake or to a nearby waterfall, search for trails along the Circuito Chico in the Parque Llao Llao. For altitude and grand panoramas, take the ski lift to the top of Cerro Catedral and follow the ridge trail to Refugio Frey, returning down to the base of the ski area.
West of Bariloche, turn right at Villa Mascardi onto the dirt road to Pampa Linda. From there you can hike a long day or overnight to Otto Meiling hut, or make shorter forays to the glacier or nearby waterfalls. A three-day trek will take you right past Tronadór and its glacier, along the Alerce River, and over the Paso de los Nubes (Clouds Pass) to Puerto Bless, returning to Bariloche by boat. Hiking guides can be recommended by local tour offices. For trail maps and information on all of the Lake District, look for the booklet (in Spanish) Guía Sendas y Bosques (Guide to Trails and Forests) sold at kiosks and bookstores.
Club Andino Bariloche. For ambitious treks, mountaineering, or use of mountain huts and climbing permits, contact Club Andino Bariloche. Click on the mapas link on the Web site. 20 de Febrero 30, Río Negro, 8400. 2944/422–266. www.clubandino.org.
More Sports and Outdoors
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's