- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Arriving at the water's edge, you will have three trails to explore: one is an easy stroll in the woods on a wooden walkway; another involves a steep climb to an overlook; and the third is an all-day trek (eight hours round-trip) to Los Hitos on the Chilean border, where you can admire the rapids on the Puelo River. It's possible to camp there at Arroyo Las Lagrimas and continue on for five or six days across Chile to the Pacific Ocean. You can also take a boat to El Turbio at the other end of the lake, where a tough two- to three-day day trek climbs to Lago Esperanza. Another option would be to hike to El Turbio from El Desemboque on Lago Epuyén. For a guide, contact Fabio Barreiro at Puelo Extremo (2944/499–588 or 2944/1541–999) or one of the tour offices in El Bolsón.
More Sports and Outdoors
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's