The Lake District Travel Guide
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Fodor's Venice & the Best of Northern Italy
Hundreds of sapphire lakes lie hidden amid the snow-covered peaks of the Andes on the western frontier with Chile, in what has become the most popular tourist area in Patagonia—the northern Lake District. Despite its growing popularity and accessibility from developed towns like Bariloche and San Martín de los Andes, visitors are constantly amazed at how easy it is to lose yourself in a silent forest, or by a still lake with no houses, no boats, no piers—just you and the natural surroundings.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Lake District restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in The Lake District
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- $165-$195 -- Buenos Aires Luxe Hotel w/Breakfast, 35% Off Sheraton Libertador Hotel
- $150 -- Argentina 4-Star Hotel in Wine Region w/Breakfast Sheraton Mendoza Hotel
- $2140 & up -- Brazil & Argentina: 8-Nt. Escape w/Air & Tours LatinEscapes.com
- Alluring South America IExplore
- $109 & up -- Downtown Phoenix 4-Diamond Hotel at 40% Off — $109 Sheraton Phoenix Downtown Hotel
Savage Beauty: One day a lake is silent, a mirror of its surrounding mountains. Another day waves are crashing on its shores, wind tears limbs... Read more
Fishing season runs November 15-May 1. In some areas, catch-and-release is allowed year-round; catch-and-release is usually compulsory, but in... Read more
Cruce a Chile por Los Lagos (Chilean Lakes Crossing). The Cruce a Chile por Los Lagos is a unique excursion by land and lakes. You can do the... Read more
This region has long been the biggest producer of hops in Argentina, and with a local population dedicated to agricultural pursuits, it's logical... Read more
Worried about your rights as a cruise ship passenger? ... Read more
They say that if you put it in a tortilla, Los Angeles will eat it.... Read more
Often just a side trip from Hong Kong, Macau is known as a gambler's paradise.... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
· Travel Planner
Now45° F Rain 84% Humidity April 29, 2009 at 8:00AM
Check historic weather for your trip datesArriving:
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
A little help goes a long way. Read more
This is the beginning of what will probably be a very long trip report spread over the next few months. Read more