- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Spanish Phrases
The Atlantic Coast
Southern Buenos Aires Province is synonymous with one thing—la playa (the beach). Every summer Argentines flock to resort towns along the coast, many of which were originally large estates. Now they all hinge around a long peatonal (a pedestrians-only street) or central avenue. It can be hard to see the sand in the summer months. However, by walking (or driving) a little farther, you can get some beach action in more-agreeable surroundings even in peak season. Locals prefer to be in the thick of things by renting a canvas tent at a balneario (beach club); weekly rents are extortionate but include access to toilets and showers, otherwise nonexistent on Argentine beaches. Happily, buying a drink at their snack bars earns you the same privilege.
Although the weather is usually hot and sunny December through February, the sea is usually bracing, and temperatures drop in the evenings. Off-peak, the beaches tend to be deserted, and luxury accommodations are half price or cheaper. Though the weather can get chilly, walks along the windswept sands—when followed by an evening in front of a warm log fire—can be very romantic. Bear in mind, though, that many hotels and restaurants open only on weekends April through November.
Busy resort town Pinamar has been the place for well-to-do porteños to buy vacation homes for decades. The nearby town of Mar de las Pampas is set among pine forests and has made its names as a more exclusive (and thus expensive) destination. Farther south is Mar del Plata, the grande dame of Argentine coastal resorts. Although unbelievably packed in summer, the city the only place on the coast to function more or less normally in low season.
The Atlantic Coast at a Glance
Elsewhere in Side Trips from Buenos Aires
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $165-$195 -- Buenos Aires Luxe Hotel w/Breakfast, 35% Off Sheraton Libertador Hotel
- $150 -- Argentina 4-Star Hotel in Wine Region w/Breakfast Sheraton Mendoza Hotel
- $2140 & up -- Brazil & Argentina: 8-Nt. Escape w/Air & Tours LatinEscapes.com
- Alluring South America IExplore
- $109 & up -- Downtown Phoenix 4-Diamond Hotel at 40% Off — $109 Sheraton Phoenix Downtown Hotel