- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Spanish Phrases
Colonia del Sacramento
The peaceful cobbled streets of Colonia are just over the Río de la Plata from Buenos Aires, but they seem a world away. Founded in 1680, the city was subject to a long series of wars and pacts between Spain and Portugal, which eventually gave up its claim. Its many small museums are dedicated to the story of its tumultuous history.
The best activity in Colonia, however, is walking through its Barrio Histórico (Old Town), a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Porteños come to Colonia for romantic getaways or a break from the city. It makes sense to follow their example: you don't get enough time here on a day trip to relax or see the city at its own pace. A night in one of its many colonial-style bed-and-breakfasts offsets travel costs and time and makes a visit here far more rewarding.
Colonia del Sacramento at a Glance
Elsewhere in Side Trips from Buenos Aires
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's