- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Spanish Phrases
Getting Here and Around
The Autopista La Plata connects Buenos Aires with La Plata (tolls of 4 pesos). Plaza and Costera Metropolitana run comfortable commuter buses between the two cities every 10 to 15 minutes. Both services leave from opposite Retiro station: Plaza stops on the south side of Plaza Canadá and Costera Metropolitana on the west. Plaza also has stops (usually marked "129") at major intersections along Avenida 9 de Julio, and you can catch the Costera Metropolitana along Avenida Alem and Avenida Paseo Colón. Tickets for the 1¼-hour trip, which you need to buy from a vendor before getting on the bus, cost 9 pesos. Take the buses labeled "la plata x autopista," which are the quickest.
Suburban trains run several times an hour on the Línea Roca from Buenos Aires' Constitución station to La Plata. It's slower than traveling by bus, and both the station and the ride itself can be dangerous, especially at night when muggers hang out around the station.
La Plata's city bus service is highly chaotic, and seems to baffle even locals. Thankfully, walking around the city center is both easy and pleasant. But, if you do get tired, flag down a black-and-white metered city taxi; note that there's a taxi stand outside the bus terminal.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $149 -- Buenos Aires Luxe Hotel w/Breakfast, 35% Off Sheraton Libertador Hotel
- $2140 & up -- Brazil & Argentina: 8-Nt. Escape w/Air & Tours LatinEscapes.com
- Alluring South America IExplore
- $2900 & up -- South America 14-Day, 5-City Trip w/7 Tours — $2,900 LatinEscapes
- Argentina's Patagonia & the Omaguacas — $9,795 IExplore