- The Wall of Water Nothing can prepare you for the roaring, thunderous Cataratas del Iguazú (Iguazú Falls). We think you'll agree.
- Cowboy Culture No visit to the pampas (grasslands) is complete without a stay at an estancia, a stately ranch house, like those around San Antonio de Areco. Sleep in an old-fashioned bedroom and share meals with the owners for a true taste of the lifestyle.
- Wetland Wonders The Esteros del Iberá, an immense wetland reserve in Corrientes Province, is home to a bewildering variety of plants and animals, including howler monkeys and capybaras (a quirky supersize rodent).
- Delta Dreaming Speeding through the Paraná River delta's thousands of kilometers of rivers and streams, we'll forgive you for humming "Ride of the Valkyries"—it does feel very Mekong.
- Colonial Days Gorgeous 18th- and 19th-century stone buildings line Colonia del Sacramento's cobbled streets. Many now contain the stylish bed-and-breakfasts favored by porteños looking to escape the big city.
Want to stay at the finest properties when you travel? Check out our annual list of the 100 best hotels in the world.More