- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
At a Glance
- unique location
- wonderful staff
- comfy atmosphere
- beautiful blue lake
- three hours by dirt road from El Calafate
- very remote
If we could recommend only one property in southern Patagonia, it would be Estancia Helsingfors, a luxurious converted ranch-house with an absolutely spectacular location in the middle of the National Park on the shore of Lago Viedma. The scenery is straight out of a Lord of the Rings movie, and knowledgeable guides can point out dozens of species of birds; inside, a cozy fire warms the sitting room, friendly staff serve fine food and delicious house wine, and the beds are perhaps the most comfortable in Patagonia. Don't leave without visiting the jewel of Helsingfors, a breathtaking blue lake at the foot of a glacier that's a three-hour hike or horseback ride from the inn.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Well my up to a year trip has begun.. I left Australia on Tuesday the 26th of November from Melbourne at 7pm . Flying with emirates, 4 flights later and 40 hours of travel and not much sleep I arrived i Read more
Firstly, a big thank you to all who followed along on our travels over the last six month both here and on our blog. Read more
This time we are really retiring!
Just got back from SEA and back at work and already planning our retirement trip next fall to South America.
Mid-sixties, active, healthy, husband speaks ok Spanish. Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more