- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Pandas of the Sea
You've watched the whales, seen the seals, and admired the penguins. But how about toninas (dolphins)? The southern coast of Argentina is home to a particularly attractive species, Cephalorhynchus Commersonii, whose black-and-white coloring has earned them the nickname "panda of the sea." Toninas Adventure (Av. Marcelino González at the docks, Puerto Rawson 2965/498–372 www.enpuertorawson.com.ar/toninas Boat-trip 120 pesos 9–6), the only dolphin-watching enterprise in the area, operates hour-long boat trips from the port at Rawson. They guarantee sightings of their playful namesake creatures, who love to race alongside the boats in packs of three or four, regularly jumping up in perfect arcs. Puerto Rawson is on the coast 30 km (20 mi) east of Trelew, and is an easy detour on trips south to Punta Tombo or beyond. Most organized tours to Punta Tombo stop here.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe