- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Museo Casa del Virrey Liniers
Museo Casa del Virrey Liniers Review
The massive stone walls of the main estancia buildings dominate one side of Plaza Solares. After the Jesuits' expulsion from Argentina, the buildings' most illustrious resident was Viceroy Santiago de Liniers, famous for defending Buenos Aires against invading British forces. Liniers lived here briefly in 1810, before his pro-Spanish sympathies cost him his life when Argentina became independent. Despite its name, the Museo Casa del Virrey Liniers, a well-organized museum, isn't just about Liniers, but also documents life on the estancia and includes some exhibits about the native Comechingón people who inhabited the area prior to the Europeans' arrival.
The entrance's crumbling baroque gate gives way to the main courtyard. Overlooking this are the priests' cells, which house period furniture, religious art, and Liniers's personal effects. Deeper within the building are the original kitchens, the forge, and the areas comunes (common areas)—a euphemism for the Jesuits' toilets. These were discovered by archaeologists in the 1970s, incongruously filled with porcelainware. Adjoining the museum to the south and worth checking out if you're at the museum is the Iglesia Parroquial Nuestra Señora de la Merced, finished only a few years before the Jesuits' expulsion. Unlike the museum, the church hasn't been well maintained or restored. Take a short walk north of the main building to see the Tajamar (breakwater), built by the Jesuits in 1643 to create a reservoir for their estate.
- Address: Padre Domingo Viero and Solares, Alta Gracia, Córdoba 5186 | Map It
- Phone: 3547/421–303
- Hours: Apr.–Sept., Tues.–Fri. 9–1 and 3–7, weekends 9:30–12:30 and 3:30–6:30; Oct.–Mar., Tues.–Fri. 9–8, weekends 9:30–8. Guided tours in English at 10, noon, 5, and 7; call ahead to arrange.
- Website: www.museoliniers.org.ar
- Location: Alta Gracia
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
The last leg of an eight month rtw which started in Japan, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Germany and Austria...details about our other legs are at www.greenleycoffeebreak.com.
We flew from Munich, Read more
Hopefully we will get a chance to post a more formal trip report later however I thought I'd post a few initial details. Read more
I have recently bought a flight to Buenos Aires and am planning to visit south America for 3 months ( May 12th to August 4th ) wooo hooo!!!! . I have less than 2 months to plan the greates Read more
· News & Features
Premium economy is the budding class of the airline world, but deciding on a carrier (and whether it’s ... Read more
San Juan's balmy temperatures, gorgeous beaches, and charming, historic buildings make it the perfec... Read more
Keep an open mind and a flexible schedule on your next getaway.... Read more