- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Capilla del Monte
Shop windows filled with New Age books and T-shirts proclaiming close encounters of the third kind let you know that Capilla del Monte is synonymous with the out-of-this-world activity at nearby Cerro Uritorco, Argentina's number one UFO-spotting location. Locals are also proud of the calle techada (roofed street), which is just what it sounds like: in the 1970s the residents found themselves without a gallery for an upcoming photography exhibition, so they built a roof over part of the main drag. It was such a hit that it's never been dismantled. On one end of the street is a square where a small crafts market is held on weekends. Unusual area rock formations and several national parks make hiking one of the main activities here.
Capilla del Monte at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's