What better place for the National History Museum than overlooking the spot where the city was supposedly founded? Once owned by entrepreneur and horticulturalist Gregorio Lezama, the beautiful chestnut-and-white Italianate mansion that houses it later did duty as a quarantine station during the San Telmo cholera and yellow-fever epidemics before morphing into a museum in 1897. Due to ongoing renovation work, much of the building remains closed at the time of writing; three rooms, however, reopened to the public in 2013. Personal possessions and thoughtful explanations (in Spanish) chronicle the rise and fall of Argentina's liberator José de San Martín. Other galleries celebrate the heroes of independence and foreign forces' unsuccessful attempts to invade Argentina.
Calle Defensa 1600, Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, C1143AAH, Argentina