- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Basílica de Nuestra Señora del Pilar
Basílica de Nuestra Señora del Pilar Review
This basilica beside the famous Cementerio de la Recoleta on Junín is where Buenos Aires' elite families hold weddings and other ceremonies. It was built by the Recoleto friars in 1732, and is considered a national treasure for its six German Baroque–style altars. The central one is overlaid with Peruvian engraved silver; another contains relics and was sent by Spain's King Carlos III.
Museo de los Claustros del Pilar. In the cloisters, which date from 1716, is the Museo de los Claustros del Pilar, a small museum of religious artifacts as well as pictures and photographs documenting Recoleta's evolution. There are excellent views of the cemetery from upstairs windows. 5 pesos. Mon.–Sat. 10:30–6:15, Sun. 2:30–6:15.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Well my up to a year trip has begun.. I left Australia on Tuesday the 26th of November from Melbourne at 7pm . Flying with emirates, 4 flights later and 40 hours of travel and not much sleep I arrived i Read more
Firstly, a big thank you to all who followed along on our travels over the last six month both here and on our blog. Read more
Hello, fellow Fodorites! Read more
· News & Features
Carmelo offers golden riverfront beaches, rich cultural offerings, an up-and-coming wine region, and more. ... Read more
The options for taking on tango in Buenos Aires can be downright overwhelming, so we've done the legwork... Read more
Choosing a destination for your honeymoon can prove nearly as challenging a task as finding "the one."... Read more