Horse Around in Buenos Aires
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Combine the horsey inclinations of Argentina's landed elite with the country's general sporting prowess, and what do you get? All 12 of the world's best polo players. The game may be as posh as it gets, but most local sports fans take begrudging pride in the stunning athletic showmanship displayed by polistas like 10-goaler Adolfo Cambiaso or Ralph Lauren pinup Nacho Figueras.
Major polo tournaments take place at the Campo Argentino de Polo. Admission to autumn (March–May) and spring (September–December) matches is free. The much-heralded Campeonato Argentino Abierto (Argentine Open Championship) takes place in November; admission to the whole championship starts at 160 pesos. (They only sell admission to individual matches if there are leftover tickets.) You can buy tickets in advance through Ticketek (11/5237–7200 www.ticketek.com.ar) or at the polo field on the day of the event. Av. del Libertador 4000, at Dorrego, Palermo, Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, C1426BWN.
For polo match information, contact the Asociacion Argentina de Polo. Buenos Aires. 11/44777-8005. www.aapolo.com.
As well as polo players and polo ponies, Argentina also breeds swift racehorses, prized throughout the world.
Catch the Thoroughbreds in action at the Hipodromo Argentino de Palermo. Major races like the Gran Premio Nacional (nicknamed the Argentine Derby and held in November) pull a crowd. Av. del Libertador 4101, Palermo, Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, C1426BWC. 11/4779-2800. www.palermo.com.ar.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe