When to Go
When to Go
There are two major seasons in Yellowstone: summer (May-October), the only time when most of the park's roads are open to cars; and winter (mid-December-February), when over-snow travel (snowmobiles, snow coaches, and skis) takes a fraction of the number of visitors to a frigid, bucolic sanctuary. Except for services at park headquarters at Mammoth Hot Springs, the park closes from October to mid-December and from March to late April or early May.
You'll find big crowds from mid-July to mid-August. There are fewer people in the park the month or two before and after this peak season, but there are also fewer facilities open. There's also more rain, especially at lower elevations. Except for holiday weekends, there are few visitors in winter. Snow is possible year-round at high elevations.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $135.00 & up : 4-star hotels in Cody Hotwire
- Explore Cody For Less! Book Fr $146+/Nt Hotels.com
- $26.95 & up : Midsize rentals in Cody Hotwire
- Super 8 Cody on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $147+/Nt — $147 Expedia
- $24.95 & up : Compact rentals in Cody — $25 Hotwire