Compass American Guides: Wyoming, 5th Edition
Mammoth Hot Springs Terraces
Mammoth Hot Springs Terraces Review
Multicolor travertine terraces formed by slowly escaping hot mineral water mark this unusual geological formation. You can explore the terraces via an elaborate network of boardwalks, the best of which is the Lower Terrace Interpretive Trail. If you head uphill from Liberty Cap, at the area's north end, in an hour you'll pass bright and ornately terraced Minerva Spring. Along the way you may spy elk grazing nearby. Alternatively, you can drive up to the Lower Terrace Overlook on Upper Terrace Drive and take the boardwalks down past New Blue Springs to the Lower Terrace. This route, which also take an hour, works especially well if you can park a second vehicle at the foot of Lower Terrace. There are lots of steps on the lower terrace boardwalks, so plan to take your time there.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We are wanting to plan a trip in the summer of 2015. Read more
· News & Features
Premium economy is the budding class of the airline world, but deciding on a carrier (and whether it’s ... Read more
San Juan's balmy temperatures, gorgeous beaches, and charming, historic buildings make it the perfec... Read more
Keep an open mind and a flexible schedule on your next getaway.... Read more