Compass American Guides: Wyoming, 5th Edition
Mammoth Hot Springs Terraces
Mammoth Hot Springs Terraces Review
Multicolor travertine terraces formed by slowly escaping hot mineral water mark this unusual geological formation. You can explore the terraces via an elaborate network of boardwalks, the best of which is the Lower Terrace Interpretive Trail. If you head uphill from Liberty Cap, at the area's north end, in an hour you'll pass bright and ornately terraced Minerva Spring. Along the way you may spy elk grazing nearby. Alternatively, you can drive up to the Lower Terrace Overlook on Upper Terrace Drive and take the boardwalks down past New Blue Springs to the Lower Terrace. This route, which also take an hour, works especially well if you can park a second vehicle at the foot of Lower Terrace. There are lots of steps on the lower terrace boardwalks, so plan to take your time there.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
New to the forums, but looks like it's a great place to get info from fellow travellers willing to help share their experiences. Read more
· News & Features
After the recent debut of his Grand Cayman-inspired novel The Forever Girl, author Alexander McCall ... Read more
When's the best time to go?... Read more
The world's northernmost capital is a charming destination in all seasons.... Read more