Back Basin Review
The trail through Back Basin is a 1½-mi loop guiding you past Steamboat Geyser. When it erupts fully (most recently in 1985), it's the world's largest, climbing 400 feet above the basin. More often, Steamboat growls and spits constantly, sending clouds of steam high above the basin. Kids will love the Puff 'n' Stuff Geyser and the mysterious cave-like Green Dragon Spring. Ask trangers for an anticipated schedule of geyser eruptions—you might catch the Echinus Geyser, which erupts almost hourly.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Trip summary: My wife and I are both in our early sixties. Read more
Much more than a great day hike.
August 16, 2013. Kyle McKenzie and Roger Roots, both of Montana. Patrick Murphy joined us on the trip down from Montana, but Patrick had to do some work in Jackson so he Read more
We are an Australian family (Mom, Dad and 20 year old Daughter) planning a trip to North America (July / August). Read more
· News & Features
Whether its Spicy Alligator Fritters or Broiled Lobster Maine Lobster that you're after, Carnival's new ... Read more
The week after Thanksgiving means it's time to kick your planning mode into high gear.... Read more