Yellowstone National Park Feature
Top Reasons to Go to Yellowstone National Park
Hot spots: Thinner-than-normal crust depth and a huge magma chamber beneath the park explain Yellowstone's abundant geysers, steaming pools, hissing fumaroles, and bubbling mudpots.
Bison: They're just one of many species that roam freely here. Seemingly docile, the bison make your heart race if you catch them stampeding across Lamar Valley.
Hiking: Yellowstone has more than 1,000 mi of trails, along which you can summit a 10,000-foot peak, follow a trout-filled creek, or descend into the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone.
Yellowstone Lake: Here you can fish, boat, kayak, stargaze, and bird-watch on black obsidian beaches—just don't stray too far into the frigid water.
Canyon: The Colorado River runs through the park, creating a deep yellow-colored canyon with two impressive waterfalls.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $95.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Cody Hotwire
- Super Low Cody Rate: Book Fr $146+/Nt Hotels.com
- $26.95 & up : Midsize rentals in Cody Hotwire
- Cody Savings! Book at The Cody Fr $254+/Nt — $254 Expedia
- $24.95 & up : Compact rentals in Cody — $25 Hotwire