- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
If you didn't drive to Wyoming, rent a car once you arrive. The airports have major car-rental agencies, which offer four-wheel-drive vehicles and ski racks.
Northwest Wyoming is well away from the interstates, so drivers make their way here on two-lane highways that are long on miles and scenery. To get to Jackson from I-80, take U.S. 191/189 north from Rock Springs for about 177 mi. From I-90, drive west from Sheridan on U.S. 14 or Alternate U.S. 14 to Cody. U.S. 14 continues west to Yellowstone National Park, and you can also hook up with U.S. 191, which leads south to Jackson.
Be extremely cautious when driving in winter; game crossings, whiteouts, and ice on the roads are not uncommon. Contact the Wyoming Department of Transportation for road and travel reports. For emergency situations, dial 911 or contact the Wyoming Highway Patrol.
Grand Teton Park Road Conditions. 307/739-3682.
Wyoming Department of Transportation. 307/777-4375 from outside Wyoming for road conditions; 888/996-7623. www.wyoroad.info.
Wyoming Highway Patrol. 307/777-4301; 800/442-9090 for emergencies; #4357 [#HELP] from a cell phone for emergencies.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe