- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Sports and the Outdoors
Encompassing parts of the Wind River Range, the Bridger-Teton National Forest, Pinedale Ranger District holds hundreds of thousands of acres to explore. The fishing is good in the numerous mountain lakes, and you can also hike, horseback ride, snowmobile, camp, and picnic here. Forest office, 29 E. Fremont Lake Rd., Box 220, Pinedale, WY, 82941. 307/367-4326. www.fs.fed.us/r4/btnf.
Cabins at secluded Half Moon Lake are available from Lakeside Lodge, on nearby Fremont Lake. The modern lakefront cabins have both electricity and phones. Pastimes at this jewel of the Wind River Range include boating, fishing, camping, and hiking. Trout, whitefish, and mackinaw await anglers and ice fishers, too. There are also guided horseback rides, a boat launch, and a campground with picnic tables, trailer pull-throughs, vault toilets, fire grates, and refuse containers. The lake has a beach where children can build sand castles and bigger kids can enjoy canoeing, waterskiing, and inner tubing. The resort area is open May–mid-September. It's about 10 mi northeast of Pinedale. Take Fremont Lake Road north out of Pinedale; the turnoff for Half Moon Lake is about 8 mi from town along a narrow, winding gravel road. Pinedale, WY. 307/367–2221. www.lakesidelodge.com.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's