When to Go
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
When to Go
In July and August all the roads, trails, and visitor centers are open, and the Snake River's float season is in full swing. To have access to most services without the crowds, plan a trip between May and June or in September. Lower rates and smaller crowds can be found in spring and fall, but some services and roads are limited. Grand Teton Lodge Company, the park's major outfitter, winds down its activities in September, and most of Teton Park Road closes from late October through early May.
Towns outside the park rev up in winter. Teton Village and Jackson both buzz with the energy of Snow King Resort and Jackson Hole Mountain Resort, the former conveniently in town, the latter an international skiing hot spot deep in the valley. (Prices rise for the peak winter season.) Because of the many skiers, U.S. Highway 26/191/89 stays open all winter.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $167* & up -- Flights to/from Tucson on American, R/T American Airlines
- $157-$197 -- LA: Suite at 4-Star Hotel w/Rooftop Pool BookIt.com
- $118 & up -- Oahu: Waikiki Beach Hotel w/Oceanarium, 35% Off BookIt.com
- $1029 & up -- Big Island 3-Night Getaways incl. Air, Car Pleasant Holidays
- $599 & up -- Oceanview: Alaska 7-Night Summer Cruises American Express Travel