- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
National Elk Refuge
National Elk Refuge Review
Wildlife abounds on this 25,000-acre refuge throughout the year. From late November to March, the highlight is the more than 7,000 elk, many with enormous antler racks, that winter here. Elk can be observed from various pullouts along U.S. 191 or by slowly driving your car on the refuge's winding, unpaved roads. You can take a horse-drawn sleigh ride for the chance to see the elk up close. Among the other animals that make their home here are buffalo, bighorn sheep, and coyotes, as well as trumpeter swans and other waterfowl. In summer, the range is light on big game, but you can tour a historic homestead from June to September. From mid-December to early April, sleigh rides depart every 15 minutes or so from the Jackson Hole and Greater Yellowstone Visitor Center. Wear warm clothing, including hats, gloves, boots, long johns, and coats.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Trip summary: My wife and I are both in our early sixties. Read more
Much more than a great day hike.
August 16, 2013. Kyle McKenzie and Roger Roots, both of Montana. Patrick Murphy joined us on the trip down from Montana, but Patrick had to do some work in Jackson so he Read more
We are an Australian family (Mom, Dad and 20 year old Daughter) planning a trip to North America (July / August). Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more