Horseback Riding in Grand Teton National Park
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
You can arrange a guided horseback tour at Colter Bay Village and Jackson Lake Lodge corrals or with a number of private outfitters. Most offer rides of an hour or two up to all-day excursions. If you want to spend even more time riding in Grand Teton and the surrounding mountains, consider a stay at a dude ranch. Shorter rides are almost all appropriate for novice riders, while more experienced cowboys and cowgirls will enjoy the longer journeys where the terrain gets steeper and you may wind through deep forests. For any ride be sure to wear long pants and boots (cowboy boots or hiking boots). Because you may ride through trees, a long-sleeve shirt is also a good idea and a hat is always appropriate, but it should have a stampede string to make sure it stays on your head if the wind comes up.
Outfitters and Expeditions
Colter Bay Village Corral. One- and two-hour rides leave Colter Bay Village Corral for a variety of destinations. Short jaunts head around several secluded ponds on Hermitage Point. 2 mi off U.S. 89/191/287, 5 mi north of Jackson Lake Junction, Grand Teton National Park, WY, 83013. 307/543-3100 or 800/628-9988. www.gtlc.com. 1-hr rides $37, 2-hr rides $55. June-Aug.
Jackson Lake Lodge Corral. One-hour trail rides at Jackson Lake Lodge Corral give an overview of the Jackson Lake Lodge area on the way to Christian Pond; two-hour rides go to peaceful Emma Matilda Lake and Oxbow Bend. U.S. 89/191/287, ½ mi north of Jackson Lake Junction, Grand Teton National Park, WY, 83013. 307/543-3100 or 800/628-9988. www.gtlc.com. 1-hr rides $55, 2-hr rides $75. June-Aug.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $140* & up -- Nationwide Flights on American, R/T American Airlines
- $61 & up -- Anaheim Resort near Disney, Kids Stay Free BookIt.com
- $62-$89 -- Anaheim Hotel near Disney w/Breakfast, 70% Off BookIt.com
- $675 & up -- Sheraton Kauai: 3-Nt. Vacation w/Car Rental Pleasant Holidays
- $419 & up -- Last Minute: 4-Night Bahamas & Key West Cruise Royal Caribbean