- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Buffalo is a trove of history and a hospitable little town in the foothills below Big Horn Pass. Here cattle barons who wanted free grazing and homesteaders who wanted to build fences fought it out in the Johnson County War of 1892. Nearby are the sites of several skirmishes between the U.S. military and Native Americans along the Bozeman Trail. Buffalo is 182 mi due west on I-90 of Sturgis, South Dakota. The first week of every August, Sturgis hosts a very popular and legendary bikers' conclave. So, if you're passing through at this time of year, don't be surprised to hear the occasional roar of hogs.
Buffalo at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in Cody, Sheridan and Northern Wyoming
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's