- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
A town of more than 13,000, Green River attracts those who want to explore the waterways of the Green River drainage in the nearby Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area. Of all the towns along the Union Pacific Railroad, this is the only one that predated the arrival of the rails in the late 1860s. It began as a Pony Express and stage station on the Overland Trail. In 1869 and again in 1871, explorer John Wesley Powell (1834-1902) launched expeditions down the Green and Colorado rivers from nearby sites.
Green River at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in Cheyenne, Laramie and Southern Wyoming
- Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area
- Fort Bridger State Historic Site
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's