- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
This is the gateway community to the Continental Divide National Scenic Trail, accessed at Battle Pass, 15 mi west on Highway 70. When completed, this trail will run from Canada all the way south to Mexico along the Continental Divide. Encampment is also a good place to launch trips into four nearby wilderness areas in the Hayden District of Medicine Bow–Routt National Forest—Platte River, Savage Run, Encampment River, and Huston Park—where you can go hiking, fishing, mountain biking, snowmobiling, and cross-country skiing. Although recreation is a quickly emerging industry, there's still a lot of quiet mountain country to explore, and it's not yet crowded in this town of 400 residents.
Encampment at a Glance
Elsewhere in Cheyenne, Laramie and Southern Wyoming
- Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area
- Fort Bridger State Historic Site
- Green River
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's