- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Breweries & Brewpubs
Say Milwaukee, and most people think "beer." Beer built the city, starting with the founding of Miller Brewing Company in 1855. Brewery barons built the mansions and vintage downtown buildings that frame the city's atmosphere. So it's fitting that microbreweries are leading the revival of Milwaukee's downtown. After many of the city's most famous beer labels—Schlitz, Pabst, and Blatz, to name a few—shut down their Milwaukee breweries, a bit of a beer void opened up.
In 1985, a west-coast transplant opened Sprecher Brewing Co., the city's first microbrewery. With Sprecher going strong as a regional brand, the door was opened for a late-20th-century beer blast. Milwaukee pubs proudly serve up lagers, stouts, and other specialty beers made locally by Lakefront Brewery (www.lakefrontbrewery.com), Leinenkeugel's (www.leinies.com), and Sprecher (www.sprecherbrewery.com).
Brewpubs are also now well established in downtown Milwaukee. Among the most popular with local beer aficionados: Water St. Brewery (202 N. Water St., www.waterstreetbrewery.com), Rock Bottom Brewery (740 N. Plankinton Ave., www.rockbottom.com), Milwaukee Ale House (233 N. Water St., www.ale-house.com), and Stout Bros. Public Ale House (777 N. Water St., www.stoutbros.com).
The beer gardens of Summerfest are a terrific place to sample these and other local brews. Nondrinking companions might want to take a taste tour of Sprecher's own special sodas, especially its root beer.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $179 -- Chicago: 4-Star Hotel over July Fourth Weekend JW Marriott Chicago