- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Greyhound Lines. Several routes run to and from Seattle. Its I–90 route passes through Ellensburg ($39 one way) three times daily from Seattle en route to Spokane and points east. Its I–82 route offers two more daily trips to Ellensburg, Yakima ($39 one way) proceeding through Sunnyside ($50 one way) en route to the Tri-Cities. 800/229–9424. www.greyhound.com.
The Yakima Valley Highway, which turns into Wine Country Road just south of Sunnyside, is a reliable, off-the-beaten-track alternative to I-82 for wine-country visits; but it can be slow, especially through towns, or if farm machinery is on the road. Because of unmarked turns and other potential hazards, it's wise to stick to the freeway after dark. Gas stations in towns, and at major freeway intersections, are typically open well after dark.
Major car rental companies in the area include Avis (509/469-4543 Yakima), Budget (509/248-6767 Yakima), Enterprise (509/494-7111 Yakima, 509/925-5040 Ellensburg), and Hertz (509/452-9965 Yakima). Hertz and Budget are available at Yakima International Airport.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's