- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Tacoma is close enough to Seattle that many people commute in both directions. It's a straight 30-mile shot down I-5 to Exit 133 toward the city center. Tacoma is served by Greyhound and Amtrak, with connections north to Seattle and beyond, as well as south to Olympia. Tacoma is also served by Sound Transit's commuter rail, though trains are limited to rush hours.
If you're not planning to go too far out of the downtown core—just seeing the museums and the waterfront—you won't need a car to get around, as Amtrak and Greyhound let you off at Union Station, which is within walking distance of the city's main museums and a handful of restaurants.
Sound Transit (206/398-5000 or 888/889-6368. www.soundtransit.org.)
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe