Adjacent to the Nisqually (Longmire) entrance to Mount Rainier National Park, it's hardly surprising that Ashford draws around 2 million visitors every year. Long a transit route for local aboriginal tribes, its more recent history began when it became a logging terminal on the rail line and developed into a tourism hot spot with lodges, restaurants, groceries, and gift shops along Highway 706.
Ashford at a Glance
Elsewhere in Washington Cascade Mountains and Valleys
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's