- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The Washington State Ferries system can become overloaded during peak travel times, leading to lengthy waits at the Anacortes terminal for passengers bringing their vehicles aboard. Always arrive at least 45 minutes ahead of your departure, and as much as 90 minutes ahead on summer weekends or holidays, when you can also expect heavier road traffic reaching Anacortes. It's rarely a problem to get a walk-on spot, although arriving a bit early to ensure you get a ticket is wise.
Washington State Ferries. These state-operated ferries depart from Anacortes, about 75 miles north of Seattle, for the San Juan Islands. That same ferry service also connects the San Juans to one another, and San Juan Island with Sidney, BC, near Victoria. 2100 Ferry Terminal Rd., Anacortes, WA, 98221. 206/464–6400 or 888/808–7977. www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's