- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Spending time on the San Juans is all about connecting with the sea. A trip here requires a bit more travel, planning, and expense, but visitors nevertheless flock here to spot migrating whales, go kayaking, chill out in endearingly informal inns, and dine on creative, surprisingly urbane cuisine. The most popular boating activities include whale-watching, but each island has its share of parks, bluffs, and coastline to explore.
The San Juan Islands are part of the same archipelago as the Gulf Islands of British Columbia—they're actually closer to Victoria, BC, than they are to Seattle. The closest Washington cities to them are Anacortes and Bellingham, about 90 minutes north of Seattle.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's