- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
One of the oldest villages in Washington, Neah (pronounced nee-ah) Bay is surrounded by the Makah Indian Reservation at the northwestern tip of the Olympic Peninsula. Today it's still a quiet, seldom-visited seaside settlement of one-story homes, espresso stands, and bait shops stretched along about a mile of gravelly coastal road, which parallels the glistening, boat-filled bay. Stroll along the docks to watch boot-clad fishermen and shaggy canines motoring out on warped and barnacled vessels, and peer into the oil-stained water for views of anemones, shellfish, and sea lions. The rocky bulkhead rises behind the marina; look beyond that to view sunsets and Cape Flattery, the northwesternmost point in the contiguous United States.
Explorer James Cook named the cape in 1778 when his ship missed the fog-smothered Strait of Juan de Fuca and landed here instead. In 1792 Spanish mariners established a short-lived fort here, which was the first European settlement in what is now Washington State. The local Makah tribe is more closely related to the Nootka of Vancouver Island, just across the water, than to any Washington tribe. Like their ancestors, they embark on whale hunts by canoe, although fleets of kayaks skimming through the calm bay are all you're likely to see during your visit.
Neah Bay at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Olympic Peninsula
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Quality Inn Uptown in May: $133 & Up Expedia
- Starting Fr $139: Great Port Angeles Price Hotels.com
- Port Angeles Savings! Book at Super 8 Port Angeles Fr $97+/Nt — $97 Expedia
- Super Low Port Angeles Rate: Book Fr $137+/Nt — $137 Hotels.com
- Days Inn Port Angeles in May: $99 & Up — $99 Expedia