- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Pacific Northwest
Cape Disappointment State Park
Cape Disappointment State Park Review
This 1,882-acre park (formerly Ft. Canby) was an active military installation until 1957. Emplacements for the guns that once guarded the Columbia's mouth remain, some of them hidden by dense vegetation. Trails lead to stunning beaches and eagles can sometimes be seen on the cliffs. All of the park's 240 campsites have stoves and tables; some have water, sewer, and electric hookups. The park also has three lightkeepers' residences (houses) available for rent, as well as 14 yurts and three cabins. Exhibits at the park's Lewis & Clark Interpretive Center tell the tale of the duo's 8,000-mile round-trip expedition. Displays include artwork, journal entries, and other items that elaborate on the Corps of Discovery, which left Wood River, Illinois, in 1804; arrived at Cape Disappointment in 1805; and got back to Illinois in 1806.
- Address: Robert Gray Dr., 2½ miles southwest of Ilwaco off U.S. 101 Ilwaco, WA 98624 | Map It
- Phone: 360/642–3029; 360/642–3078
- Cost: Day pass $10 per vehicle; annual Discovery Pass $30 (valid at all state parks); Interpretive center $5, campsites $21–$28
- Hours: Daily dawn–dusk; Interpretive center: daily 10–5
- Website: www.parks.wa.gov
- Location: Ilwaco
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hello all! Read more
It is time for me to contribute to Fodor's instead of mostly lurking for information and pictures.
I recently did a 1 day photography whirlwind trip around Seattle...
Please see my Trip report @
http://foods-drinks-travels.blogspot.com/2013/09/sparkling-northwest-city-named-seattle.html Read more
Just learned will get to come to Seattle for a training the week of March 17. Read more