This expansive, imposing, hillside mansion, built in 1892 for Port Townsend's first mayor, has lots of Victorian character—wood trim, antique furniture, high ceilings, patterned wallpaper, and lace curtains covering tall windows—and some sweeping views of the bay. At one time it hosted Jesuit priests, who named it after the Spanish town where their order was founded. A hotel since the late 1960s, the castle has been renovated to offer modern amenities. The austere
but romantic period restaurant serves cioppino, pasta, steak, and seafood, plus a lavish Sunday brunch, and the Edwardian-style cocktail lounge is set around the bar from San Francisco's old Savoy Hotel.