- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Sports and the Outdoors
Back Country Wilderness Outfitters. One- and two-hour horseback rides are offered here for $25 per hour. The Ribeye Ride, which lasts nearly four hours, with a steak dinner on the beach costs $85. 409 S.W. Sid Snyder Dr., Long Beach, WA, 98631. 360/642–2576. longbeachhorserides.com.
Long Beach. The Long Beach Peninsula consists of 28 continuous miles of broad sandy beach, which fills with kite-flyers, sand-castle builders, sunbathers, bicyclists, horseback riders, and drivers during summer months. Watch out for horses, cars, and other motor vehicles—some sections are open for driving year round, while other parts don't allow it in summer; the speed limit on the sand is 25 mph. Bonfires are also allowed. Bring a windbreaker—strong gusts are common near the water, which remains consistently frigid throughout the year. Amenties: toilets. Best for: solitude; sunrise; sunset; walking. West off State Rte. 103, Long Beach, WA, 98631. 360/642–2400. funbeach.com.
Peninsula Golf Course. There are two 9-hole, par-33 courses here, on Long Beach's northern edge. Greens fees are $16 for 9 holes and $23 for 18 holes. After 2 pm. it's all-you-can-play for $15. 9604 Pacific Hwy., Long Beach, WA, 98631. 360/642–2828. peninsulagolfcourse.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe