Gospel-music fans are drawn to the church of the state's largest African-American congregation. The church's first gatherings began in 1889; back then its prayer meetings were held in homes and in a store. The church was incorporated in 1903, and after a number of moves, settled in its current simple but sturdy brick building. Eighteen stained-glass windows, each with an original design that honors a key African-American figure, glow within the sanctuary. Beneath the bell tower, James Washington's sculpture The Oracle of Truth, a gray boulder carved with the image of a lamb, is dedicated to children struggling to find truth.