- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Alki Point and Beach
Alki Point and Beach Review
In summer, West Seattle's Alki Beach is as close to California as Seattle gets—and some hardy residents even swim in the cold, salty waters of Puget Sound here (water temperature ranges from 46 to 56 degrees F). This 2½-mi stretch of sand has views of the Seattle skyline and the Olympic Mountains, and the beachfront promenade is especially popular with skaters, joggers, strollers, and cyclists. Year-round, Seattleites come to build sand castles, beachcomb, and fly kites; in winter, storm-watchers come to see the crashing waves. Facilities include drinking water, grills, picnic tables, phones, and restrooms; restaurants line the street across from the beach. To get here from Downtown, take either I-5 south or Highway 99 south to the West Seattle Bridge (keep an eye out, as this exit is easy to miss) and exit onto Harbor Avenue SW, turning right at the stoplight. Alki Point is the place where David Denny, John Low, and Lee Terry arrived in September 1851, ready to found a city. The Alki Point Lighthouse dates from 1913. One of 195 Lady Liberty replicas found around the country lives near the 2700 block of Alki Avenue SW. Miss Liberty (or Little Liberty) is a popular meeting point for beachfront picnics and dates.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $131-$178 -- Seattle: Hilton Hotel w/City Views, Save 55% Expedia
- $179-$189 -- 4-Star Seattle Hotel over July Fourth Week Renaissance Seattle Hotel
- $19.99 per day -- Rent a Chevrolet Cruze in Seattle Sixt Rent a Car
- $176-$204 -- Downtown Seattle Hotel Through Summer — $176-$204 Holiday Inn Seattle
- $175 & up -- Downtown Seattle 4-Star Hotel, 40% Off — $175 The Westin Seattle
An article about the top ten attractions in the May 12, 2013, edition of The Seattle Times got me to thinking about my favorite attractions in my home town.
My top three, it turns out, are the Pike Place Read more
Back home safe and sound...had a wonderful trip and enjoyed seeing 'new for us' territories!
We left Sun City at 3 on April 1..Easter Monday and drove to Flagstaff. Desert flowers were beautiful Read more
We'll be vacationing in Seattle the first week in September. Read more
· News & Features
Taking an art-fueled tour of Europe would be a dream.... Read more
Our latest Fodor's Travel Tastemaker comes to us courtesy of Ace Hotels.... Read more
Seattle and Portland are well known for a farm-to-table, hyper-local philosophy that permeates everything... Read more