- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Pacific Northwest
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Washington Park Arboretum
Washington Park Arboretum Review
As far as Seattle's green spaces go, this 230-acre arboretum is arguably the most beautiful. On calm weekdays, the place feels really secluded; though there are trails, you feel like you're freer to roam here than at Discovery Park. The seasons are always on full display: in warm winters, flowering cherries and plums bloom in its protected valleys as early as late February, while the flowering shrubs in Rhododendron Glen and Azalea Way bloom March through June. In autumn, trees and shrubs glow in hues of crimson, pumpkin, and lemon; in winter, plantings chosen specially for their stark and colorful branches dominate the landscape. March through October, visit the peaceful Japanese Garden, a compressed world of mountains, forests, rivers, lakes, and tablelands. The pond, lined with blooming water irises in spring, has turtles and brightly colored koi. An authentic Japanese teahouse is reserved for tea ceremonies and instruction on the art of serving tea (visitors who would like to enjoy a bowl of tea and sweets can purchase a $5 tea ticket at the Garden ticket booth; see website for times and schedules.) The Graham Visitors Center at the park's north end has descriptions of the arboretum's flora and fauna (which include 130 endangered plants), as well as brochures, a garden gift shop, and walking-tour maps. Free tours are offered most of the year; see website for schedule.
- Address: 2300 Arboretum Dr. E, Capitol Hill, Seattle, WA 98112 | Map It
- Phone: 206/543–8800 arboretum; 206/684–4725 Japanese garden
- Cost: Free, Japanese garden $6
- Hours: Park open daily 7 am–sunset; visitor center daily 10–4. Japanese garden May–Aug., daily 10–8, hrs vary seasonally, call to confirm
- Website: www.depts.washington.edu/uwbg/gardens/wpa.shtml
- Location: Capitol Hill
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hello all! Read more
It is time for me to contribute to Fodor's instead of mostly lurking for information and pictures.
I recently did a 1 day photography whirlwind trip around Seattle...
Please see my Trip report @
http://foods-drinks-travels.blogspot.com/2013/09/sparkling-northwest-city-named-seattle.html Read more
I am an Australian travelling to the West Coast for 4 weeks. Read more
· News & Features
Locally sourced food has never been more local, as chefs have begun growing their own fresh fruits and ... Read more
Despite its rainy reputation, Seattle is anything but dreary.... Read more
Taking an art-fueled tour of Europe would be a dream.... Read more