- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
It takes much more than a recycling program to make a hotel "green," and although few properties in Seattle are doing everything right, a handful of local luxury hotels have expanded the industry's definition of eco-friendly.
Hyatt at Olive 8
The first LEED-certified (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) hotel in Seattle, the Hyatt at Olive 8 was built from the ground up with sustainability in mind. From the demolition of the previous building and the painstaking construction of a green roof to details like naturally anti-microbial wool carpeting and dual-flush toilets, this hotel and residence (the upper floors are condos) is healthier for the planet and guests alike.
Pan Pacific Hotel Seattle
Motion detectors make sure heating and a/c units don't run when there's no one in the room. All toilets are dual-flush European models that save on the hotel's water consumption.
The Fairmont Olympic Hotel
The Fairmont has a wide-reaching Green Partnership program in which all hotel employees are educated to help the hotel conserve water and energy. Initiatives range from recycling and composting programs to more inventive programs like capturing condensation from the hotel's steam heating to be used in the washing machines. Eco-friendly weddings and meetings are available. Guest's hybrid vehicles get free valet parking.
Kimpton, whose Seattle hotels include Hotel Monaco, Hotel Vintage Park, and the Alexis Hotel, has a far-reaching approach. Recycling, towel and linen reuse, and energy conservation and water conservation schemes are standard here, and the company uses environmentally friendly cleaning products in all its properties. Guests also enjoy Fair Trade coffee, organic snacks in the mini bar, local and organic restaurant fare, and eco-friendly bath products.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $140* & up -- Nationwide Flights on American, R/T American Airlines
- $174 & up -- SF: 4-Star Hotel near Union Square, 45% Off Expedia
- $186 & up -- 5-Star Seattle Hotel, Save 50% Expedia
- $169-$189 -- Downtown Seattle Hotel incl. Memorial Day — $169-$189 Renaissance Seattle Hotel
- $140 & up -- Seattle 4-Star Downtown Hotel, Save 50% — $140 Sheraton Seattle Hotel