By Boat & Ferry
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
By Boat & Ferry
Victoria/San Juan Cruises sends Island Commuter ferries from the Bellingham Cruise Terminal to Friday Harbor and Victoria from May through September. There's a whale-watching-only option ($39), or you can continue on to Victoria, where you'll spend five hours and enjoy a buffet on the way back ($79).
Washington State Ferries connect Mukilteo (20 mi north of Seattle off I-5 at Exit 189) with Clinton, at the south end of Whidbey Island. Walk-on passengers pay only for the westward leg of the trip. Ferries leave roughly every half hour, more erratically off-season. Ferries also run from Port Townsend, at the tip of the Olympic Peninsula, to Keystone, at Whidbey's midpoint. The ride is 20 minutes one-way.
Washington State Ferries. 206/464-6400. www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $76.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Bellingham Hotwire
- Starting Fr $85: Great Bellingham Price Hotels.com
- $25.95 & up : Economy rentals in Bellingham Hotwire
- Save at 3-Star BEST WESTERN PLUS Lakeway Inn: $161 & Up in Jun — $161 Expedia
- $30.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Bellingham — $31 Hotwire