Rafting is popular from March to July; the prime high-country runoff occurs in May and June. The Wenatchee River, which runs through Leavenworth, is considered one of the best white-water rivers in the state—a Class III on the International Canoeing Association scale.
Alpine Adventures. Challenging white-water and relaxing river floats through spectacular scenery are the options here. A Wenatchee River white-water trip with lunch costs $84; a scenic Wenatchee River float (lunch included) is $74. The Methow River drift is $89. An Icicle River run (no lunch) is $49; it fills up fast. Leavenworth, WA, 98826. 800/723-8386 or 509/470-7762. www.alpineadventures.com.
Blue Sky Outfitters. Half- and full-day rafting trips on the Methow and Wenatchee rivers are offered by this outfitter. WA. 206/938–4030 or 800/228–7238. www.blueskyoutfitters.com.
Osprey Rafting Co.. This outfitter offers 4½-hour trips on the Wenatchee River for $78.56, which includes wet suits and booties, transportation, and a barbecue lunch; there's a $69.31, 2½-hour trip for travelers short on time. 9342 Icicle Rd., Leavenworth, WA, 98826. 509/548–6800 or 888/548–6850. www.ospreyrafting.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe