Rafting in North Cascades National Park
June through August is the park's white-water season, and rafting trips run through the lower section of the Stehekin River. Along the way take in views of cottonwood and pine forests, glimpses of Yawning Glacier on Magic Mountain, and placid vistas of Lake Chelan.
Outfitters and Expeditions
Downstream River Runners. Check out this outfitter for rafting throughout the Northwest, including floats on the Skagit River in the summer months and again in winter for bald-eagle viewing. 206/910–7102. www.riverpeople.com.
North Cascades River Expeditions. June through October, North Cascades River Expeditions focuses on regional rivers; trips are offered on the Upper Skagit year-round. 800/634–8433. www.riverexpeditions.com.
Orion River Expeditions. Introductory, family-oriented floats are offered in August on the Skagit River for ages 6 and up. More lively white-water tours run on other area rivers April through September. 509/548–1401 or 800/553–7466. www.orionexp.com.
Stehekin Valley Ranch. Guided trips on the Class III Stehekin River leave from Stehekin Valley Ranch daily at 2:30. Stehekin Valley Rd., 3½ mi from Stehekin Landing, Stehekin, WA, 98852. 509/682–4677 or 800/536–0745. www.stehekinvalleyranch.com. $50. June–Sept.
Wildwater River Guides. Half-day rafting excursions on the Skagit River depart from Goodell Creek Campground near Newhalem. The mild waters are great for beginners and families. Goodell Creek Campground, Newhalem, WA, 98283. 509/470–8558 or 800/522–9453. www.wildwater-river.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe